Thursday, August 23, 2007

Nanjing Touring


We've finished all of Peter's paperwork here in Nanjing but we don't leave for Guangzhou until Friday afternoon. So, John took us out for some touring of Nanjing. First, we went to a museum that featured jade and jade carving (stone is an important product in Jiangsu Province). We learned about different types of jade and how to tell good quality jade from poor. We also saw some amazing treasures including a burial suit made of small rectangles of jade sewn together with silver thread. The suit took over ten years to make since each of the four holes in each jade rectangle were carved using bamboo. Here is a picture of a burial suit from an article online. If this is not the same one we saw, it is very similar.

We caught a taxi from the museum to a nearby park that showcased wonderful gardens, the Ming Tomb and stone sculptures of various creatures along the sacred avenue. We didn't spend too much time here since the day was very hot and humid. What we did see, though, was beautiful.

The rest of the day was spent with the kids napping and playing at the hotel.

Our pictures of today's sightseeing are here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep leaving comments and they don't get posted!!! ARRGGH.

Everyone looks so cute!

Peri

Liz Ecelbarger said...

You look so good together...like you've always been together. It's so fun following you on your journey. I doubt I'll ever get to China yet I'm seeing beautiful pictures with my friends in them. So fun. Thanks.

Meg said...

Hi guys! You are porbably waking up now to get ready to leave there today...hope you have a good journey. We love you. Merge and all

Anonymous said...

Love you all! Praying for you. I'm sure you're glad to get back to where you started and see your new friends again and THEIR new additions. Look forward to seeing pictures.

Love and hugs!
The Gingells

Anonymous said...

We look everyday...sometimes much more than once. The kids are having a great time reading all the commentary and learning so much. I can't see the photos without crying (with happy tears!) because I am just so thrilled and happy for you and Peter. I did a double take when I saw the double stroller! You are a "four family" now, as Joy would say! I'm amazed at how courageous you are to travel so far with a little one and now two little ones back again. I know you'd say you're not but I am overwhelmed when I think about what you've done for your children. We love you. The "other" Gibsons

Anonymous said...

I LOVE you Aunt Wa, Uncle Dave, Gracie and Peter. Peter is sooooo cute. I can't wait to meet him. He is going to be a good little cousin and a good little brother! Love and hugs, Victoria